Thursday, September 10, 2009

Is Social Media Just a Fad? Will Facebook Fade Like Vanilla Ice?

Is social media like Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace (etc.) just another fad, or is it a fundamental shift in the way we communicate?

I’ve leaned toward the latter for a good while now, and videos like this only strengthen my opinion. Check it out:

Still think social media might be a fad? Yes?

Okay, how about this: did you read the news yesterday?

The President of the United States said this to schoolchildren in a formal speech:

“Be careful what you post on Facebook. Whatever you do, it will be pulled up later in your life.”

I for one am VERY GLAD social media wasn’t around just a few years ago (the dirt on me would be public domain), and whether you like Obama or not, his assumption is correct: social media isn’t going anywhere. It’s here to stay.

Social media: absolutely nothing like Vanilla Ice.

Profound shifts in the DNA of our society don’t come along very often – what we’re witnessing with the insurgence of social media into everyday life is akin to the industrial revolution or even the invention of the printing press.

Ours will be a moment that historians point back to saying, “That was a time when a new technology changed the whole world.”

Why am I making a big deal about this? Because social media is about connecting with people, and Jesus is a big fan of that.

I can tell you a few stories about people I’ve been able to connect with through social media who are now connected to Jesus as a result.

Perhaps you have a few you can share too?

Brainstorm with me:

1) How could social media be used to impact the world for Christ?

2) How do you use social media to impact the world for Christ?

I’ve got to teach a group of ministers about this subject in the coming months – your feedback will help me do a good job of that. Thanks :)

[Via http://westcoastwitness.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment